Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ip Man


Best movie I've seen in a long time.

The picture is a semi-autobiography of the late Ip Man, grandmaster of Wing Chun. Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art that focuses on close combat and Chi Sao, sticking hands. Wing Chun is practiced by over 2 million people world wide. Ip Man himself was the first mentor/master of the late Kung Fu superstar and my personal idol, Bruce Lee.

The movie itself captures Ip Man's life in the 1930's and the adversities he faced amidst the Second Sino-Japanese War.

Ip Man is not your typical martial arts movie -- it's a story of hardship, family, and pride. Watching the movie, I was taken on a rollercoaster ride of emotions -- there were moments that made my heart very heavy, there were moments where I'd find my foot tapping the ground repeatedly while my heart was beating at an insanely fast rate. There is this part in the movie where he takes on 10 Japanese martial artists... WOW! You have to see it. I don't want to spoil it but its on YouTube.

On myself talking so highly of Ip Man, this is something to take note of, because usually I'm pretty jaded when it comes to watching movies -- usually I can find something about the movie that bothers me and can talk shit about.

This is not the case in this post.

Ip Man is definitely the best movie I've seen in a while. The art direction was insane, the cinematography was very powerful, I was on the edge of my seat. It has won numerous awards in Asia, including 2008 Best Picture and Best Action Choreography.

You might say 'Arthur, what about Transformers 2? That shit was THE BEST! Optimus Prime 4 LYFE! Megan Fox made me jizz my pants brosef!'

0 comments:

Post a Comment