Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Filipino Food for Thought

Filipino food.

Earlier today I was wondering, why hasn't Filipino food gone mainstream? I mean, people go out to sample the culinary arts from all over Asia -- Vietnamese (foo!!), Chinese, Japanese, shit.. even Indian -- but it seems like Filipino food got the short end of the stick.

I feel like nobody ever wants to go out and get Filipino food... except for Filipinos. Doesn't make sense because you or your moms, or your dad, or your tito, or your tita should be at least able to make ONE dish. Otherwise, you takin' that..


I think it's because Filipino food is weird.

Like how are you going to call a dish 'chocolate meat' when there's no damn chocolate in it? I ate this so much when I was little, solely on my mom's word that it was actually Hershey's and not Porky Pig's hemoglobin and T-Cells. It's okay though -- I ate everything. I was also fat.

Balut though? This be on that crazy tip -- once I turned ten and figured out what this was, I gave my mom the Heisman every time she offered. I mean, it's a chick fetus. C'mon now. Every time I describe this to one of my friends, they be like this...

Call me not a true Filipino, but I'ma chill with that stuff -- I'll leave it to Andrew Zimmern to do that. I'll still eat Filipino food regardless, but there are just somethings we make that are too weird for it to mainstream.

Arthur out!

1 comments:

  1. VOTE ON THE CHAPPELLE TOURNAMENT SON! NEED THAT KIRKLAND VOTE!

    ReplyDelete